Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change (AVOID)
What is the AVOID programme?
AVOID is a research programme that provides advice to the UK Government on avoiding dangerous climate change brought on by greenhouse gas emissions.
Whilst a rise in global temperature is inevitable, we can still have an influence on how much the temperature rises in the foreseeable future but only if we reduce emissions immediately.
What will AVOID do?
The three main outputs of the AVOID programme will be:
- Policy-relevant evidence and research needed to achieve international agreement on greenhouse gas emission reductions for CoP15 and beyond.
- Core research for understanding dangerous climate change and its implications - including impacts, economic and social consequences and responses.
- A framework that will further encourage the integration and communication of scientific and socio-economic research on climate change.
Who will benefit?
- The UK Government better placed to achieve international agreement on emissions reductions.
- Mitigation and adaptation policy even more strongly grounded in scientific evidence.
- Scientific information more accessible and relevant to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Research on all aspects of climate change more effectively integrated in the UK.
PROGRAMME FACTS AND FIGURES